Medical-surgical travel nursing jobs (often called “med surg” travel nursing jobs) offer registered nurses an exciting and lucrative career opportunity. These positions are mission-critical because they provide healthcare services alongside surgeons, physicians, registered nurses, and other surgery team members. In med surg travel nursing jobs, you’ll work in hospitals, stand-alone surgery facilities, ambulatory care, and specialty medical practices.
Med-surg nurses have extensive skills necessary, though each travel nursing placement’s needs might vary. These include:
- Preparing the patient for surgical procedures
- Working closely with the surgeon and medical staff
- Ensuring staff follows surgical procedures
- Communicating with patients, their families, and healthcare staff
The operating room can be a fast-paced place. In addition to understanding pre-and post-surgical care procedures, the med surg travel nursing jobs require an ability to stay calm under pressure and focus on the patient’s wellbeing.
Qualifications and Attributes Needed for Medical-Surgical Travel Nursing Jobs:
- Experienced with surgical procedures and terminology
- Works swiftly and accurately under pressure
- Strong attention to patient care procedures
- Respectful and empathetic demeanor to patients and staff
- Excellent problem-solving and communication skills
Benefits Associated with Med Surg Travel Nursing Jobs
- Select where and when you’ll work
- Help save patients’ lives
- Explore different career opportunities, broadening your knowledge about various surgeries and procedures
- Avoiding too much paperwork so you can do your job — Let a professional agency handle the details!